Monday, July 9, 2007

1960's Howitzer Transition


Got this note and these pics today:

This may interest you - I arrived in Peden Barracks 1961 got my first duty as a driver of the 8 inch howitzer this was the one I drove in 1961. In SEPT 1963 they replaced the one I use to drive with the new one as in the pictures. It was a shame didn't get to drive the new howitzers when they came in I had 7 days left so my sgt wont let me take it out on a test run because he said you're too short only few days left and am not considered in the section or in the Army. Sure was a lot different would have loved to drive the new one. So SEPT 1963 is when the new tracks replaced the old ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peden Barracks,Wertheim, Germany

A nice post with a panorama view
of the valley,Wertheim,Main river,
and the castle.It is the untold
story of thousands of soldiers who
served there.It wasn't easy,no way
with countless field trips,train-
ing at Graf,inspections and other
duties.We experienced hardships and moments of joy. All this took place during the Cold WAr,Nato forces facing the Warsaw Pact.Odd thing was that we trained almost right under the nose of the enemy at Graf,about 50 miles from the Czech.border.Fortunately,everything worked out with the breakup of the Soviet Union and without quest-
ion be proud of our service.

72nd F/A Grp.HHB