Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Taxi!

Got an interesting note I thought I'd post about taxi service in Wertheim. It was a bit different in the late 80s when I was there, at least in terms of the taxis themselves. All the taxis were very nice Mercedes.

Taxi service, Wertheim
I know this topic is off tangent but I still want to comment on it.To put in the time frame I'm talking about mid-sixties or so. Going up or down the hill was truly an adventure and sometimes darn right scaring. Also, the road was narrow and winding unlike today. There were several occasions taxi driver who we affectionately called "comrade" would pass on a curve scaring the crap- out- of -us. Most of time it was the metal to the pedal all the way. This must have been a cultural thing because back home the cops would not allow this type of driving. But I have to admit there were no accidents. Back in 2006(wertheim) I took a taxi and I was saying to myself..this guy is going to speed up the hilland lo and behold..back to the Nur-emberg racetracks. No something never changes. Survivor. Peden B.

4 comments:

Marc said...

Before I bought my Audi, I too had the crap scared out me (almost literally)...lol Every time we would go down the hill, we would take a taxi, but coming back up we generally walked. I am still trying to figure out why, maybe we were too lit up to realize it...lol Fun times though! '82-'84

Anonymous said...

Walking down to Wertheim...
One weekend about three or four of
us decided to take a leisurely walk
from the backside of the living quarters of the 3/35th area.Man, it was a long way and took an awhile to get down there.We ended up in a park area where a soccer game was taking place near the Main river.No way, we were going to walk up the hill and took a taxi.Whew,that was the last time we walked down the hill.At first glance it didn't appear to be too far but it was.

Anonymous said...

My dad (SFC Lynn D Blair, 87th Maint BN) was stationed here '83-'86, and I consider living here the highlight of my childhood (age 7-10). We called the road "Roller Coaster Road" and enjoyed all the tiwsts and turns... I guess we were too young to realize how tricky the turns were.

I remember our car broke down one time when we were downtown, and a taxi driver picked us up and took us back to post, then refused to let us pay him. I hear the people have changed a lot since that time, which would be a shame if it is true.

Anonymous said...

It is true.
People are different and not as
friendly for sure.Few yrs ago I took an vacation to Germany
and made a pt.to visit the old
post.At the train station I tried
to be friendly by talking with a
couple with young children and after brief conversation they simply walked away as they didn't want to socialize at all .I was taken aback and wondered what the heck was going on.I generally felt
this behavior annoying and disturb-
ing.Other words I didn't like it.
Others may feel differently but I
simply describing my experiences.
Also, I encountered other negative
behavior.I was saying to myself
to spending all the money for this.
Germany today is entirely a different world.Peden Barracks.