Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Another Great Email - Zanya Biviano

Hello Mark,

Wertheim was my home town, I was born and raised there.  I often Google some updates and found your detailed article with the photos.  What a great idea.

I also read Guenter Eichhorn's update and can report back that during my last visit in October 2009, I found the former Peden to be a very nicely remodeled complex.  A friend of mine was interested in looking for an assisted living place for her grandmother and found this beautiful building.  We drove around the former Peden, which was forbidden territory for us children when I grew up in Wertheim.  Peden offered an Open House once a year, where I was always very keen to visit and practice my early school English.  I also befriended a girl my age at the time, her parents lived in a private apartment outside the barracks.


Your photos are beautiful and capture Wertheim very well.  Your " Downtown " photo shows the front part of a timbered house on the right side of the photo.  The house next to it to the right, barely visible, was my home.  The house is a three story building with the steepest roof in town.  Our house was built somewhere between 1496 and 1504.  It belonged to my family for 100 years.  It was originally a hotel, with a grand ballroom, wine cellars and a double attick.  It was one city block long, with buildings reaching into the street behind the facade you show in your photo.

When I was ten years old I knew that I would leave Germany, to live in France, England and USA.  London was my home for several years, I live in California, north of Los Angeles now.

I have some aerial photos of Wertheim and former Peden Barracks.  I took them three years ago.  The day was somewhat overcast with light fog, most of the photos came out fuzzy, but a couple over the castle are fairly decent.  I can fwd them to you if you are interested.  I also have an unusual photo of part of the twon wall next to the hotel Swan, taken from across the river at dusk, the wall illuminated, with light reflections in the Main river.


Thank you for taking the time and interest to post your photos and article.  I certainly appreciate it.

Zanya Biviano

1 comment:

woody said...

Thanks for the pictures,brought back good memories.