Thursday, January 18, 2007

First Post!

Well here we go - first post. I've got this soft spot for Peden Barracks. I was assigned there from 1986-1989 with 3/35FA. Started out as an FDO in Bravo Battery, then was a PL (split battery days) and then went to the s-3 shop as the BN SWO. I've been looking for something to cut my blog teeth on so I decided this would be a good start. Part of the reason I decided to do this is the feedback I got from another page I set up a few years back, that has a bunch of pics from Peden when I visited on business in 1999. Boy had it changed. (I'll get that link up shortly). Anyway, I started getting email from people who'd served there - some from multiple decades. So with this blog I'm going to post not only some pics I have from those days, and some stories, but I also hope we'll get enough of a following that others will send some pics and write some guest posts. I've saved a few photos and notes already that I think you'll enjoy. Forwards Always! MJ (PS: the photo above is of the old 3/35FA BN HQ)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

James Parriott, Charlie Btry,3/35FA fifth section 87-88, spent 89 as 2PL and then BC (CPT Inman?) Driver..... The only SW guy I remeber off the top of my head was J. Eric Woodward. Others I remember are 1SGT Cook, 1SGT Graves, Gordon R. (AIRBORNE!) PVT Andre Carswell (that man could sing!) SPC Brantley (the strongest man on post, or at least claimed to be...........)

Anonymous said...

Dean Greathouse, Bravo (Bulls) 3/35 FA SW and BN SW, It was a great time and I should have extended. I'll get some pics together and send them your way. Great site, I'll Be in touch. Drop me an email, Deang64@verizon.net

MS said...

I stayed in B Btry 3/35 from 1983 to 1987. 6th Section, FDC, 1st Section, and Supply. Did my whole four years there, because I liked living in Germany and getting away on weekends when I didn't have guard duty or something. - PFC, then SP4 Stoneman

Anonymous said...

Scattering to the four winds, Peden
Barracks.I flew to London and returned on C-130 from Mildenhall. It was exciting to be downtown(Soho,Trafagar,Picadilly).Even.
shopped on Carnaby and Regent Sts.One time,we drove over the Alps to beautiful Innsbruck in winter.Boy.I always looked forward to going to Garmisch-Partenkirchen,
a wonderful alpine town.I thought
I was in paradise paddling around
crystal clear Lake Eibsee.footsteps
of the towering Zugspitze.

terryfgerhart said...

Terry Gerhart, A Btry, 25th FA (TAB) 1984-1986. I loved Wertheim and serving at Pedan. Vivid memories of PT in the morning, running up and down the "hill"....
I have a pic of my unit that I would like to email you. Thanks
terryfgerhart@msn.com

Anonymous said...

My recollection of W.Germany during
the mid-sixties.
Germany appeared to be well on its
way to restoration after the war.
However, I believe I saw some war
ruins in Wurzburg which was level-
ed by the British bombers.Also, we
were warned to stay away from an
agricultural village across the
Main river due to hostile attitude
towards americans.Personally I
didn't encounter any overt hostile
behavior.Also, we were told not to
fraternize with the Frauliens be-
cause they 'only' wanted to come
to the states.This was sort of in-
teresting because most of us simply
wanted to do our time and go home.
Perhaps the career soldiers did so
much to the dismay of the army.The
marriage cost factor was big.Generally, the army tried to instill upon the soldiers to behave and treat the Germans with respect.During my time I never heard of anyone charged with aggravated offenses such as
robberies or assaults.Of course on some occasions the MPs would take custody of drunken soldier and bring him up the hill to his unit.Overall, I believe our relations with the town of Wertheim was good one.Note,
the commemoration rock.

sevendogs said...

Please respond if you remember me. My name is Carmen and I used to be a taxicab driver there at Peden. I am looking for friends I made back then