Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ron's Pics

One of the earliest emails I got was from Ron Picciani who was stationed at Peden from 1963 to 1965. The emails I like the most are from folks who were there significantly earlier than I was, as they usually have some great insight and some good stories. Many wish they had more photos from those days, and a few, like Ron do. Here's one of the pics he sent, there are some good field and Peden shots he sent that I'll add as time goes on. I liked this shot of downtown Wertheim (a corner you'll all recognize) because of the cars in the picture. And of course there's a 3/35 FA vehicle in the shot as well. How did they ever survive without "Whoopie Lights"?!?! You'll like seeing more of Ron's pics. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat site keep the pic's coming I will check back for sure.
Born and raised in Wertheim.

Robespierre said...

I just traced my ancestry back to Wertheim. Georg Nicholas Strauss left Wertheim in 1753 with his four brothers for eastern Pennsylvania. I am hoping the town has good records so I can trace it back even further!

Anonymous said...

what a selection of photos!
Boy, it brings back the wonderful
memories of Wertheim,Main and Tauber rivers, castle and how can
I forget Grafenwoehr,7th Army Training Center, near the Czech. border.Ju, a 3/4 truck in Wertheim
and perfect timing of this shot.
Check the corner clock exactly l2
PM.The main traffic on the Main river were the river barges and today popular river cruise ships stop at Wertheim as port of call.The castle graced the scene and still is a great landmark. Peden B., a neat post with eagle nest view of Wertheim.For those who
didn't know there were tunnels on
post.Graf,on my first visit I simply was shocked regarding the amount of hardware(armor and artillery).Here is little history reg. Graf.Remember Elvis Presley, he did his time at Graf, training and entertaining the troops.The word was the MPs had a 'heckuva' time keeping the Frauleins off the base.Those were the days.
72nd Arty.Grp.HHB

LaBelle1979 said...

Nice photos. I hope to see Wertheim one day (tracing my German roots). My husband was in the 4/27th FA B Battery (MLRS crewmember) in late '89 through July '91. He and the other members of his unit landed in Saudi Arabia on Christmas Day 1990. He told me how beautiful Wertheim was, and I would love to see the beautiful sights of the country area.